Monday, January 5, 2009

Pondering and Don Bellisario

I don't know where Don Bellisario finds his men, but I want his little black book. Since I was a little girl in love with Magnum, his leading-man picks have caused me no end of delightful, meaningless and mostly imaginary emotionalism.

Nate and I are currently watching JAG from beginning to end-unfortunately Seasons 8 through 11 or wherever it ends are not released yet, and we will have to trudge along on a meager allowance of one NCIS each week and our tired Magnum DVDs-and this evening we finished Season 6. The last episode of this season is a cliffhanger, of course, it is the eve of Mac's wedding and Harm is lost at sea. Mac is torn and Mic, the evil Australian, may just be starting to figure out that he's a lost cause.

Two episodes earlier Mac and Harm share the hottest kiss I have seen since Mark Harmon pinned a murderess against his perennially half-completed boat in his basement right before arresting her. That kiss ended a tortured conversation that recalled Mac's and Harm's relationship from beginning to end, which can be summed up in the phrase, "Fish or cut bait!" Over and over that man flounders between declaring his love, taking Mac for granted, and merely stewing in silent anger when any other man captures Mac's attentions, or even just makes an attempt.

Yet I am still rooting for the adorable coward. After all, we can see how much he loves Mac in his brooding expression, and Mac definitely loves him. Why does it matter that he rebuffs her every time she offers her heart to him, apparently preferring to engage in a bit more serial monogamy before settling down?

Harm isn't the only one--Magnum, too, expressed passionate and deep love that went nowhere, and LJ Gibbs has never committed to more than dinner and some plumbing repair. Yet, all three could, if real, easily capture my own heart, and that is what bothers me. Am I attracted to men who fear commitment and are unwilling to give up their selfish existence and settle down? It would certainly explain a lot. I know I live in the real world, and honestly, I am not as caught up in TVland as this post makes it seem, but I can't figure out if I am merely playing along with the writers or if I had better explore some deeper issues.

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Have you heard whether you are going to be staying at your current job after the 31st or is that still up in the air or have you gotten a different job? Inquiring minds want to know.