Wednesday, July 23, 2008

What Are We Teaching The Children?

Matthew 18:6
But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.
So, on a forum where I spend far too much of my time, various parents are debating various 'social networking' websites in various contexts. Now, neither of my kids have-or even desire-one of these personal pages. But the thing that bothers me the most is many of these parents helping their children to defraud the owners of these websites. The parents sign in, agree to the terms of service, and then hand the page over to their kids...who are explicitly not allowed to use them according to the terms of service which the parents agreed to. But the parents say, 'All their friends have them!' Well, I don't know about you, but when I was a kid, mothers told their kids, 'I am not your friends' mother, and besides, if your friends jumped off a bridge, would you jump off it, too?'

Now I guess cool moms help their kids lie and defraud so they can be just like their friends! What does this teach the kids? And why on earth would we think that, after teaching kids to lie, they are going to tell us the truth? Hey, everyone, the truth matters!

Brandon has a new friend. She's a nice girl, from what I can tell, and they enjoy each others' company. He has invited her to various things, usually youth group activities or whatnot, but she can never go. Today I found out why: Her parents decided that their children should be raised without religion, so that they can make the choice for themselves when the are grown. I can tell you what choice they will make!

The childhood years are the years of formation. What you teach a child is still ingrained in the adult. Even when an adult recognizes harmful thinking or behaviors, it can take years to overcome, and that is with hard work. Left alone they will continue on the path their parents set them on. And children learn by example, as the saying goes.

I am by no means a perfect parent. I may not even be a great one. I hope I am improving, but most of all, I hope I am instilling, by example, ethics that will carry on through my kids' lives.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're exactly right!

Mrs. Pevensie said...

Religion or not, it drives me crazy that people will lie for their children.

And the excuse that they kids should have "no religion" until they are adults and can choose for themselves...grrrrrr...never mind, I had better not get started. Not enough room here.

Way to go Jenny for speaking truth!

Anonymous said...

Why are our kids attracted to youth from unchurched homes? Still scratching my head on that one, and I hope it doesn't hold true forever. Could it be so that someone somewhere prays for these unchurched youths salvation? But you know my story Jenn, we did much more than simply pray. I started to write "and in the end..." but I guess the end of all things isn't here yet so I'll leave off there. =)

Christina said...

Yeah, I remember that topic. That really does bug me that parents would lie for their kids to get a myspace or whatever. It's still considered lying, IMO.