Wednesday, July 9, 2008

For Pity's Sake!

This article from fellow blogspot blog JunkFoodScience highlights one of the stupider results of our culture's fatphobia. It discusses a new proposal to screen TWO year olds for high cholesterol and use statin drugs on CHILDREN. Um, pardon me, but these are kids. Kids whose brains are developing. Brains that are composed of cholesterol. Sorry, Johnny, you have too much grey matter potential coursing through your veins....yeah, this drug might make you dumb, but at least you won't die of a heart attack...as if. My grandmother has been on statins for years, and along with those drugs, had a very unhealthy fear of all things fat and cholesterol. She caused herself to starve out of this fear, going down to 95 lbs! My 12 year old weighs more than that. I am firmly convinced that lowering her cholesterol to unhealthy lows (yes, I said unhealthy LOWS), which doctors now seem to be aiming for, hastened the onset of dementia. I will say it again--our BRAINS are made out of cholesterol. We NEED cholesterol. And young children need it most of all.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kind of jumping the gun there it sounds like. That's our government and AMA though.

Anonymous said...

YAY! I'm glad I found your blog..I can never get enough of your opinions LOL =P
blessedmamaofmany from cw.

Anonymous said...

That is interesting! My mil is on a super-low-fat-low-cholesterol diet and she is showing signs of dementia too. I didn't know brains are made of cholesterol. Hmmmm.....

Jenny-Fair said...

Hi, ladies.

Shadow, that is too bad about your MIL. I am always sad to see people ruining their real health in pursuit of faux health.

Anonymous said...

I just read an article about how the liver creates cholesterol when there is damage in the body somewhere. I feed my boys 'brain food' ... lots of the yummy bacon and eggs! Thirty years ago my dad was lecturing us as kids that margarine was worse than butter and there was nothing wrong with eggs. Check out www.mercola.com for cutting edge and sometimes goofy hype. But it better than being decieved by conventional medicine; which does have it's place but not all the answers!

Mrs. Pevensie said...

Yeh, and they want 2 and 3 year olds to go to school too.

I really like Mercola.com too. Good info there.